GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ams Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:53:47 EDT
In a message dated 10/3/2003 10:13:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Thanks for subscribing to the post. I have been following your conversation
> with Tombong and I would if may share my little knowledge on exchange rate
> and the stability of the dalasi with you guys. As you the dalasi is allegedly
> said to be freely floating, but I think the monetary authorities are adopting
> a "dirty float" or managed float with their frequent intervention in the
> FOREX market (mostly selling when the rates goes up and hardly purchasing when it
> goes down) to come to an equilibrium point (a state of balance).

--------------
Brother, like Gambia, Argentina, Haiti and many other countries facing such
foreign exchange crisis, bloated bureaucracy, lack of productive capacity base,
political climate, etc. determines the will and ability to get out of this
doldrum. If we back up the calendar to July 21, 1994, what was the jawara regime
doing that the Jammeh regime is not following? It's the same
graduates/professionals and private Foreign exchange dealers that ran the show. The first
thing these hustlers would do in the morning, is to send stop by Central Bank to
find out the posted ongoing rate of all foreign currencies, hence try to
compete. If it worked all these years until, criminals like lang Conteh and Ali
Baaba Blood Diamond Jobe got into the lucrative business, who's to blamed? The
hustlers or the bankrupt regime. They got it wrong! Kaput! Hopefully, Brother
Bala Gaye, will look Yahya straight in the face and declare hands-off the market
place until it retains its equilibrium. If I were Bala Gaye, the first thing
to do is to retrench the bloated and unproductive over staffing of government
offices with A[F]PRC compatriots. Then, launch an immediate 24/7 auditing of
Customs, Central Bank and Ports, to find out who owes what? Declare an amnesty
for all outstanding monies owed be paid back on an arranged basis..NO IF's,
AND's or BUT's...even Yahya Tarik and Baba Jobe...no exemption!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
 - Albert Einstein
the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead
"When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear
the government, you have tyranny."
- Thomas Jefferson
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke