From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 07:49:04 -0500
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:49, mark wilson wrote:

>I've designed a staple meal as well but have taken a
>different approach.  My biggest concern has been
>getting quality fats into my diet.

What do you class as high quality, Mark?

>After viewing Nanook of the North for the first time I
>was struck at the quality of fats these people were
>consuming.  At one point they pulled a walrus out of
>the ocean and were consuming the raw blubber within
>minutes of the animals death.

This puzzles me a bit as the usual paleo practice is to share the food and
there are taboos associated with eating one's own kill, eating before some
affines have received their share, plus, there is usually some communal
celebration of a catch the size of a walrus.

>Heat damages fats and I've always been concerned about
>eating high volumes of cooked meat,

Not all fats are equally damaged by heat and different temperatures have
different impact

>I still eat roasted meat but from a longevity
>standpoint I think it's a good idea to use a bit of
>moderation.

As you will have seen in my pics, I grill my meat and have recently taken
to grilling on very low temperatures.  I miss the caramelization, but
everything else is easier: cooking is quicker (not Paleo - I know!), the
pan is far easier to clean (not Paleo, either), I can prepare the rest of
the meal while the meat is cooking - without having to keep a vigilant eye
on it all the time and nutritionally, it's probably better for me.

Keith