From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:21:20 -0400
> Bruce:
> > Which low-carb or paleo books say to limit nuts?
>
> Theola Baker:
> 1)PaleoDiet by Cordain.  Can't give you the page number because
> I've lent it to a son's girlfriend who has PCOS.
> 2)Protein Power Lifeplan, p. 321.
> 3)Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution (2002), p. 180-181.

Atkins says not to eat nuts during the first two weeks
(Induction phase) only. After that, he suggests adding
them gradually, while continuing to lose weight. True,
he points out that people tend to overeat nuts and he
suggests moderation. (Roasting and salting makes a lot
of people eat more than they otherwise would. The nuts
with the most fat - walnuts, brazils, pecans - provide
the most satisfaction for me.)

> > You mentioned recently that you only eat an average of 60-70 g
> > of protein a day, sometimes as little as 35 or as much as 100.
> > Consider that even 100 g might not be enough for you. 60-70 g
> > reduces protein to a marginal status.
>
> The Eades recommend eating protein based on lean body mass. Mine
> falls within the 60-70 gms per day.  What evidence do you have
> that that's marginal status?

Cordain suggested women eat twice that much protein, in
the sample diet from his book. He says that "The protein
content of the paleolithic diet was significantly higher
than the average 12-15% of the Western diet." He goes on
to show that replacing carbs with protein will lower our
total cholesterol, LDL, VLDL, and triglycerides. 60-70 g
represents just 12-14% of a 2000 Calorie diet. Hunting,
fishing, and pastoral tribes ate far more that that, and
had the low cholesterol to prove it. (Not that we should
worry about high cholesterol, as it often results from a
healing of past arterial damage and blockages created or
caused by junk carbohydrates and junk fats.)

http://www.beyondveg.com/cordain-l/macronutr/macronutr-ratios-1a.shtml