From:
Theola Walden Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 01:06:43 -0500
From: "Jim Swayze"
> But I believe it's not
> necessary for one's caloric intake to be less than one's expenditure as
> long as you keep carbohydrate intake low enough.

Well, yes and no.  I've about come to the conclusion that my body might be
pretty adept at gluconeogenesis.

> You can take in more
> calories than you expend and not gain weight as long as those calories
> come from fat and protein.

That was pretty much my experience for the first 9 months of eating paleo
(though I've been low-carb since 2000).  I never lost any weight on paleo,
but I never gained any either.  I never tracked calories in detail, but gave
some thought (and occasional measurement to it)  and many times found I was
consuming nearly 3,000 calories a day on paleo.  Everything changed
(what?!!) in Feb.  Since then I've gained X (I'll never tell!) pounds.
Right in the middle.  Yech.

 >  But the calorie calculus of "eat less calories than you take in" is
>oversimplified

Agreed, but for me calories do seem to matter now more than ever,
irrespective of carbs.  Sigh.

Theola