From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:12:24 -0500
I said I would stay out of this any more.  I lied.  I simply must
reiterate this point.

First a recap.  It's not been demonstrated satisfactorily that
pre-Neolithic man consumed either stomach cheese or alcohol.  But I
believe that they *probably* did.  The problem arises when trying to
determine if those items are "paleo" (i.e. congruent with our genetics
formed over millenia)  and therefore desirable to seek out for our meals
this evening.

Now my point: Mere consumption by pre-Neo man is not enough.  A particular
foodstuff has to be eaten in threshold quantities, frequently enough, and
for long enough in order for it to be "paleo."  Maybe cheese and alcohol
pass this test.  I don't think they do, but I'm willing to admit the
possibility.

It comes down to individual choice.  As long as you're being intellectual
honest and fair in your assessment of what's paleo - which I'm sure
everyone here is - if you think ding dongs are paleo, eat them with gusto!
 If you think they're not paleo, but damn the consequences, you still want
them, eat them with gusto!

You may be surprised to know that I'm that way with wine.  I love the
stuff.  I try to limit myself to two glasses on Sunday evenings with my
father.  (This Sunday, being Father's Day for both Dad and me, we're
having my favorite: a Zind-Humbrecht Riesling from Alsace).  But I don't
believe it to be paleo.  Perhaps I'll be talked out of the hobby some day
by the realization that it's hurting me more than it's bringing me joy.

Now, I'll never post on this subject again.  (I don't believe me either).