Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:34:39 +0200
and domestic violence,
> which may outweigh the benefits in possibly reducing
> heart disease.

I don't think that alcohol produces aggression or domestic violence (men
beating up women and children). It socially allows aggressive and dominant
behavior to be revealed.

>What do people think about using salt?

In my family the first step we took towards paleofood was to take away the
salt from our cooking. We kept peppers and different herbs (dried leaves, no
bought mixtures) but used salt only directly on the plate. We also changed
to a kalium product. It was strange to notice how other tastes came foreward
that had been hidden by the salt - a lot of food seemed sweeter and the
blendings of tastes for instance in a soup changed more without salt than
with it. Our need of salt disappeared in a week and we hardly ever use it on
the plate either. I had been told that it would take months.

Somebody
> around me told me that it was not a good idea to avoid
> salt, because "during the war people died because they
> didn't have enough salt. . ."

There seem to be an old use of the word salt that in fact includes all
minerals, "salts" (in Swedish anyway) but it eventually came to refer to
natrium which we never get too little of in our societies. In Sweden we can
buy salt that had iodine added. That's my only worry. How can I be sure to
get enough iodine when we don't live by the ocean anymore? We used to.

> How is salt generally viewed? From what I've heard
> salt was only mined at the time of the agricultural
> revolution, so it seems that adding salt to food would
> be non-paleo.

Salt dries on stones and pieces of wood and I think paleo people collected
it and brought it with them to use with meat when they left the shores to go
hunting. Must have been the same thing as with grains. They probably picked
some but not much. Getting hold of what you need to eat must not cost more
than it gives in calories. Mined salt can not be paleo or good because it
contains only natrium.

Eva