From:
Jim Kutsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 07:44:47 -0500
One good book about the technical history is "200 Meters and Down" an ARRL
book that was published in the 70s.

Another theory on why we're called hams was that very early hobby radio
included providing entertainment over the radio.  Allegedly, hams would get
their families and sing or play instruments, thus "hamming it up."
Remember, this was before the FCC and other rules came into being.  This,
too, might just be a false legend.

Jim Kutsch
Jacksonville, FL