Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bill Kingsbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 19:57:07 -0700
6/9/2003, David wrote:

>I had posted a problem recently that my computer was not restarting unless
>i turned off the power and let it sit for a while.
>i was told by many that this might mean a problem with my power supply.
> I now checked out my PS with a voltmeter and it seems to be ok.
>Can someone lead me to the next idea as to what might be causing this problem?

Look at the tops of the larger, round capacitors on the m-board.
Are the tops buldging up ?  Is there any tan or carmel- brown colored
salt or goo extruding from the tops (or bottoms) of any of the larger
capacitors ?

This type of problem has been going on with many m-boards manufactured
during approx. the past 2 or maybe 3 years -- up until 6-9 months ago.
Many brands of motherboards are affected.   See links below...

Bill

. Leaking Capacitors Muck up Motherboards - Finger-pointing and
  fury as manufacturers try to dodge blame -
  http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

. Pictures of Leaking Capacitors -
  http://www.careyholzman.com/caps/thumbnails.html

. Got Juice? Leaky capacitors shorting circuits; problem spreads -
  http://www.e-insite.net/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA255062

. Hushed-Up Disaster Dept. -
  By John C. Dvorak -

. Taiwanese component problems may cause mass recalls -
  Faulty capacitors may afflict mobos, modems -
  http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6085

. Leaking capacitors get own rogue gallery -
  Goo, what a scorcha -
  http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9423

. Replacing capacitors -
  http://www.vp6-board.com/caps1.htm