Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:39:30 EDT

Ritas is a very popular water ice concession in the Mid-Atlantic states --
not sure if it's spread beyond that. I'[ve learned that all except the obvious
Cookies and Cream water ice flavors are gluten free. I did not inquire about
their custards.

Here's their reply to my question about the source of their natural flavors:

"The food and pharmaceutical starch products we use in our natural flavors
are refined from dent corn, waxy corn or tapioca. Most of  the protein content
is removed in the refining process and is sold as a byproduct. In addition to
the low amount of protein present in corn and tapioca starch, the types of
amino acids are not identical with those found in wheat or rye flours. Therefore
they are not associated with Celiac's disease."

Holly Baker
Rose Valley PA