Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:33:40 -0500

Tasty Bite Indian and Thai food in a pouch.  Drop in boiling water or open and microwave.  Most of their things are vegetarian and GF but some will have dairy

Tamarind Tree -- vegetarian but not always vegan -- some things will have dairy

Thai Kitchen

Amy's items -- some of her frozen items and canned goods (baked beans)  -- once again some things will have dairy

Soymage Cheese the only one that I know of that is GF and Vegan

There is a meat substitute -- all soy -- made by Heartland Fields

Check out Imagine for soups.

Shedd's Willow Run Soy based margarine

Whole Soy yoghurts

Glace soy ice cream
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The biggest challenge is GF vegetarian *protein* sources.  Not many "ready-made" vegetarian products are GF.

Try "Sunshine Burgers" (www.sunshineburger.com), which are made from sunflower seeds, carrots, and rice and can be microwaved.  (Health food stores stock these in the freezer section).

GF protein bars include: Nutiva Flax & Raisin Bars; Tiger's Milk Protein Bars (peanut butter flavor).

Other vegetarian protein sources in grocery stores:
* Tofu
* Tempeh
* Some brands of hummus
* Peanut and other nut butters
* Raw nuts and seeds such as almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds
   (make a trail mix with these and dried fruits)
* Plain yogurt (flavor by adding your own maple syrup, fruit, nuts, etc.)
* Milk (check soy and rice brands for gluten).

Protein sources to make at home which "travel" easily include:
* Crustless quiche or tofu casseroles
* Cubed tofu and tempeh
   (stir-fry or oven-bake a big batch, then add to salads, rice,
sandwiches, etc., throughout the week).
* Homemade vegie burgers (from tofu, rice, or beans -- adapt recipes from
vegie cookbooks)
* Rice cakes with nut butters, cheese, or hummus

Add to all this lots of naturally GF *and* vegetarian fruit, vegies, rice,
corn, beans and lentils!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
you can make lots of Indian foods with lentils and rice and  spices.  Look up recipes for kitchiri - it's delicious.
We also make lots of bean and rice dishes - black bean and rice burritos (similar to what's at Chipotle - we add the veggies and seasonings and salsa).
Or stirfry with White Wave Firm Tofu,  and veggies - and it's plum season with our tree right now - last night i did tofu stirfry (broccoli, cabbage, onions, garlic, carrots) with a plum sauce recipe i found on  line - so simple,  cut up 4 plums - take seeds out - 2 tbls sugar, 2 tbls. balsamic vinegar,  1/2 tea. salt, minced garlic clove - simmer on the stove for about 15 min.  then mix it in with all the cooked veggies - delicious.

Oh - they do sell those Light Life Tofu hot dogs at the stores here which used to be GF -
i haven't checked in  a while if that's still the case though.

For the vegetarian GF person,  it's a great season with all the ripening fruits and veggies.
That's probably the mainstay of the diet,  with beans added in for protein.

Oh and White Wave Soy products (milk, yogurts) are GF and dairy free as well.  They sell
those everywhere here.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The company is called SUNRICH and they have a few different burgers that are GF...yahoo. There is a
mexican red bean that is good.  I think they are dairyfree too, almost sure...

See attached site for sunrich veggie burgers.... http://www.sunrich.com/hn/veggieburgers/veggiesgrain/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Try Vegetarian Times on-line they have some great recipes.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Genisoy(www.genisoy.com) also makes protein bars and shakes, and soy crisps that are GF. From what the company has told me, their protein shakes are GF. The chocolate, strawberry-banana, and vanilla are all quite good when made with milk(or soy milk). Also, the Pure Golden Honey Creamy Peanut Yogurt and Southern Style Chunky Peanut Butter Fudge protein bars are GF, as are all flavors of the Soy Crisps, except Nacho. Some of the Amy's frozen entrees are GF.  There are also some GF frozen waffles available that are good from various companies.  Veggie burgers generally contain gluten as a source of protein, unfortunately.  The cookbook called "The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy" contains some recipes for homemade veggie burgers that are good, as well as a few other dishes. There are also alot of GF baked goods recipes. Nut butters are also tasty, GF, sources of protein.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
subscribe to the list at Delphi Forums. That is a great one also. There are a number of vegetarians on that one.

If she can eat nuts and beans she is in okay shape.  Can she have peanut butter...? Rice cakes, peanut
butter, rice and beans, veggies, tofu, I bet some tempeh is safe too..ones that are only soy, not multi
grain. She can always have GF waffles, pancakes..etc...or are you more worried about the protein intake?

She should get some soy protein powder for sure. GENISOY makes some gluten free powder that is not bad
at all mixed with fruit, water or safe soy milk.

BEWARE many of the soy milks and rice milks are not GF or safe. She needs to be really carful....even though they appear safe, they are not. She should get some corn tortillas (Mission brand I think) and fill it
with refried beans and rice...it is good, quick and safe....if done right.

She should really have a good B-12 and make sure her iron level is okay also...

Soy nuts are a good quick source of energy too.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My daughter likes Tiger's Milk Protein Rich Bars ( 79 cents) and Bio-International Vegan Food Bars from Trader Joe's ($2.00).  Both are gluten free.  More controversial are Kellogs Corn Pops. These don't contain
any gluten ingredients but some say there is a chance of cross-contamination with wheat. We eat them at our house without any problems.  I haven't found a  veggie burger yet that is gluten free. We mostly eat fresh ingredients with mexican food being the most gluten free friendly cuisine to prepare.
Healthy & Natural brand made by Sunrich (www.sunrich.com) are the only veggie burgers I know of that make g.f. veggie burgers. They even have g.f. on the label.
Connie Sarros has a new book in the works, "WFGF Recipes for Special Diets" is at McGraw-Hill, but they won't even begin the publishing for awhile yet.  She is also offering Menu Consulting.
On the homepage, www.gfbooks.homestead.com there is a link on the left for "Menu Consulting".  Connie is also offering a week's worth of recipes and menus for special diets.  One of the diets is vegetarian, but it is for Ovo Lacto Vegetarians (those who only give up meats and fish, but consume dairy products and eggs).
But there is also a selection for Vegans.  The recipes are free of meats and fish plus all of their by-products.  And yes, almost all ingredients may be purchased at a regular grocery store.

I hope that this info is helpful to some of you who are trying to combine GF with vegetarian.

Good luck,

Barbara in Missouri