From:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 17:40:38 -0400

One reason i brought this up is that i have a friend who just blows me off
when i tell her, please find out if you have food intolerances.  She is
full of anxiety & fears, has IBS and allergies, and I keep saying, with
those symptoms, you *bet* you should look into food intolerance.  i have
been saying this and i just can't get through, somehow.

Like maybe food intolerance is about addiction.  Also that we are well
trained to believe what the authorities say.  i dismissed things i heard
about food affecting people psychologically,
i had a good scientific training with the scientific prejudices against
what people say about their individual personal experience, against
alternative medicine.  Which cost me a lot of years of my life.

Yes a lot of people are angry about this!

A lot of people also told me basically "be glad you can get better now".
What i mean about anger though, is, not to repress anger that you really
have inside, if it is there.  Not to feel one "shouldn't" be angry.

And, as others said, the anger is also about the damage to others.  Do you
realize, with the Univ. of Maryland study that said that 1/111 adults are
celiac, and it is diagnosed in the US at 1/5000 people in general; that
there are *at least* 2.5 million people who are suffering in one way or
another, many psychologically -- because of ignorance/prejudice of the
medical system & psychologists.  How many psychologists suggest you get
tested for food intolerance?  And likely, more people; i don't know that
all food intolerance involves celiac disease.

i think there is an interplay between abuse and food intolerance.  i think
i was a great victim for abuse, chosen for it because of food intolerance
caused hypersensitivity.  If you want a lightning rod for hate then someone
who is very conductive is best.  i have noticed i'm less generally reactive
since avoiding these foods.  Also fragility caused by food intolerance, i feel
better inside now and not so weak.  My parents thought i might be autistic
when i was little, i grew up very shy, went off by myself at school
recesses, schools would keep on telling them i should see their therapist.
But they never did anything, their need was to use me as a victim, not to
help me.

One person commented that we assume in our culture that people's behavior
is something they choose.  I don't think it is our culture, i think the
model of what's "inside our heads", our minds, is inherited and it evolved
for a purpose.  it doesn't reflect a theory about how our psyches really
work, it evolved to be useful at trying to predict other people's behavior
in order to do well in a group, and also to have a way to try to influence
other people.  Our paleolithic ancestors didn't know about these organic
influences on behavior, so we don't inherit a mental picture of other
people that includes them (mostly).

it is an example of the failure of laissez-faire capitalism, that more
money doesn't go towards food intolerance research.  Maybe, because in
capitalism, information is also a commodity, so there isn't the free flow
of information that in theory would make everything work nicely.  Also
people have certain innate beliefs & preferences, it isn't simply that we
act in our own best interest.

i put the emails i got on my web page at www.lightlink.com/lark/anger
except for the person who asked me not to.  i took email addresses & names
out.

laura