From:
Lois Isenman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 21:44:33 EDT

Hi-

 Thanks everyone for your response

Here is the contact info for the french Celiac Society-for what it is worth.
(My brother who lives in France called them for me.   They said that they
knew of no restaurant in Paris that understood and respected the gf diet.
However many of you seemed to feel that it was posible to eat gf in Paris.)

                   Association Francaise des Intolerants au Gluten
                   Contact: Mme. Gabrielle Cambus
                   2 rue de Vouille
                   75015 Paris
                   France
                   Tel: 33/1/43/47/0447
                   Internet: <A HREF="http://www.afdiag.com/">
http://www.afdiag.com/</A>   (couldn't get in)

________________________

Not to worry, you will have a great time.  Stick to the good places and stay
away from the Brasseries or fast food places.   Most restaurants will be able
to accomadate you.  I highly recommend Chez Josephine Dumonent.  I think its
the 5th or 6th arr.  They speciailize in lyonnaise cuisine.  Order their
fabulous potatoes.  They took great care of us

Jo

____________________

We have friends that live in Paris (they are French) and they tell me that
there are entire aisles in grocery stores with Gluten free foods

______________________

Valpiform is the leading French supplier of breads etc See their site

www.valpiform.com/ and also their US importers for products

http://www.sunlifeproducts.com/GlutenFreeDietandOurProducts.html .  Some are

very good an almost like real French bread. Available from pharmacies and I

suspect health food shops.

 The French Coeliac Societies are

http://www.afdiag.com/ and also http://www.maladiecoeliaque.com/plan.htm -

all pretty relentlessly in French I' m afraid but if you go the "Plan du

site" of the latter you get a list of distributors of GF foods in France.

Charlotte, Oxford, UK

(Both sites seem to be down-Lois)
I met my daughter in Paris a year ago and she had printed off the restaurant

guide in French and she presented it to each restaurant we went to and all

were very eager to help. She had no problems eating there at all. We did not

check into finding any places with bread or crackers. She brought a few

things with her from the Ukraine where she had been for almost two years.

There are many places along the streets to get fresh fruits. Back to the

restaurants, most all the places we visited had their menus printed in

French and English. Good luck and have a good time. I think you will find in

Paris you shouldn't have any trouble eating. Most all of Europe knows more

about Celiac Disease than the U.S.

Ann/TX

There is a chain of health food stores called La Vie Claire with locations
all over paris -- they carry a small but complete (bread, pasta, cereal,
etc.) selection of GF food -- try french GF food -- it's great!  There are
also many Monoprix supermarts and local fruit and vegetable markets where
you can get fresh fruits, vegetables, cheese, etc.

 Evelyn

My husband and I visited Paris last sumer for a week (Paris only).  We had a
delightful time.  We found that most of the restaurants in Paris had menus in
both French and English.

(We went to brazzeries only, which are delightful, but cheaper that
restaurants).  We stayed at the Marriot and their concierge was fantastic in
recommending restaurants that were good but reasonable.

I can highly recommend a place for lunch or dinner, which is not inexpensive
but very Parisien.  It is La Duree on the Champs Elyssee.  It is an
experience. It is across from the Mariot.

I did not bring any flour or mixes, but brought gf rice crackers, cookies,
nuts, Ener-G-Foods Granola bars, which I had for breakfast each day.  I had no
problem bringing them over and back.  I always feel more secure with my own
food (just in case).

Essentially for breakfast I had the granola bars and coffee most days -
unless we went for a big breakfast where I had eggs and fruit. I even managed to
order a gf breakfast at McDonalds.  They sell yogurt at McDonalds, which is
great any time of the day.

I always try to buy fruit somewhere after I land and that is a great
supplement.

For lunch I had either a salad or an omelette (you can get those anywhere).

For dinner I had filet mignon and baked potato half the time and fish and
baked potato the rest of the time.

You can have creme brulee for dessert.

I played it safe and we had a fanatastic week.  We took the subway all over
Paris and enjoyed it.  The concierge gave us detailed info on that.

I wrote to the French Celiac Assn, but got no reply.  When we went to Germany
the German Celiac Assn was extremely helpful in providing locations of 7
health food stores in Munich.  I was astounded at their coopeartion.

If you are traveling from Paris to Provence by car, I recommend you buy some
food and stop along the way for lunches of cheese/crackers, fruit.  This is
what we did when we were in Germany for 3 weeks.  Sometimes my husband could
pick up a sandwich in the morning and he would have the sandwich, while I ate the
cheese/crackers and fruit for lunch.  Not only do you save time which is
important because there is so much to see, but you enjoy some of the most
beautiful "out of the way" spots for lunch!!!  Take pictures!!!

WATER is the most important thing to manage.  Carry bottles of water
everywhere you go because they charge for water at ALL THE RESTAURANTS.  It is hard to
get used to for most Americans.

What I do when traveling is bring a small cooler bag, which I crush down and
pack in my suitcase.  Then when I get to the hotel, I fill it with ice and
have refrigeration whenever I need it.  This was a godsend with the water.  My
husband was delighted that we always had ice cold water while traveling.

Enjoy your trip.  We would love to go back and see other parts of France.  I
have heard great things about Provence.

Hope this helps.

Jane Trevett

New Haven, CT