From:
Kevin P Keane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin P Keane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:20:13 -0700

        We seem to have, in the wake of the economic slow-down, a new
problem: food providers deciding to quietly revoke the gluten-free status
of their products. Dannon, for instance, now says that <none> of their
yogurt products is gluten-free, save for their plain yogurt. One-a-day
vitamins, to cite another example, now refuses to say their tablets are
gluten-free.

        I suspect what is happening is this: in order to retrench and save
money on their ingredients, companies like this are both out-sourcing and
purchasing ingredients of lesser quality and predictability. To avoid
possible legal complications, they are now refusing to describe their
products as gluten-free. Both these companies used to be stalwarts in
providing safe products for celiacs, so their loss is serious. More
important, they are probably the tip of the iceberg.

        Does anyone, by the way, know of a dependable, equivalent once a
day vitamin to replace One-a-Day for men, women, etc?