Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 15:48:08 -0400

These are comments made many times by those who replied. At the end I added everyones' suggestions for foods to find there........I do suggest that anyone going there for the first time to print the GF list ahead of time and to go at one of their least busiest times.It's overwhelming.Thank you for all of the
suggestions............

take some type of cooler so you can get the frozen and meat items home safely.

They have GF lists on line by area you live.  You should print one out B4 you go because the store lists are not always updated.  No specific aisles--you just have to go slowly at first and read everything.  Once you get to klnow the store, it goes quicker.

Unfortunately, there are no GF sections,

Most Trader Joes offer a gf list if you ask when you get there.  I think you
can even access it online.  Be sure to double check all of the stuff

Prices and quality is excellent, esp for frozen meat and fish,
nuts, staples. Cheese- great selection,and very cheap. Not that great
for veggies

Here is link to GF foods at Trader Joe's.
http://www.traderjoes.com/products/brochures/east_gluten.asp

Frankly, you would do better to go to a Whole Foods Market if there is one of those. They have flours of all kinds, frozen items that are gluten free, etc.

 There should be a list inside the store on the
rack.  Use it "with a grain of salt" and read carefully.

It sounds as if you're expecting a large emporium of GF foods, and
unfortunately, that's not really accurate. Most TJ stores (I've been in a
few) are smaller than your average suburban supermarket. in your area. Some things are marked GF, but some things aren't (and they're
still GF).

They also have lists for other allergen-free foods, if you need them]

The staff are very freindly and helpful ,but don't count on them being knowlegeable about gluten.

Here is the list of foods suggested......................
The have rolls, cinnamon bread, and an onion loaf I think.
 Pecan Pralines,The frozen waffles are good,some of their trail mixes (delicious),,,The Ciao pepperoni is excellent on pizza with their pizza sauce.  They have good chicken, veggie and beef broth, all GF in pourable boxes.  Don't forget to pick up some Thai Noodles, I think they go for a little over a buck for a huge amount!  Much better priced than standard rice spaghetti.  Over all, the prices are very good, I can get a cart full of food, including 5 boxes of GF Gorilla Munch cereal for around $50, not bad.  Take a cooler with you, because they have great frozen foods, too.  I like the waffles and just last week tried the Handcrafted Taquitos and Tamales, both were great for quick snacks.  I also recommend the Savory Crackers, made with sesame & rice, that is very tasty and cheap.,,,,Their chocolate puddingin the refrigerator section says GF. Their polenta says GF.
Applegate coldcuts are GF. TJ chocolate chips are GF. Boursin cheese is GF - yum!!
savory thin rice crackers are GF- great with the boursin. Balance ars are only 99
cents there. Rice noosdle bowels are only 99 cents, and they say GF on the front.
There is a trader joes's GF rice pasta, but I do not care for it. Masala Simmer
sauce is GF- a very mild curry sauce in a jar.,,,,, have decent prices on dried fruit,
nuts, frozen fruit/berries, jams, pastas..,,,,,good bacon. Also their wine, if you like wine and
they can sell it in your state, is really, really inexpensive and quite
decent. The dried fruit is good. I get their rice crackers too -- I don't
know if the lines are dedicated and all that, but they seem ok (Savory Thins).
And if you eat butter, the "Kerrygold" is simply amazing.,,,,,Their Cream of
Mushroom soup used to be gf and I'll bet still is.  Lots of sauces,
mixes, soups, pesto, dried fruit, nuts.....  I love the place.
Tj's uses no preservatives and no msg too - a bonus.,,,,,Empire chicken, frozen fruits & veggies & shrimp,,,,almonds covered in
chocolate and rolled in cocoa,dark chocolate-covered raspberry gels,,,Stock up on the gf pasta,,,,Boxed Indian dinners by Tamarind Tree ,,,,,rolled chicken taquitos in the freezer.  The bean taquitos are too spicy, and the beef taquitos are not gluten-free.  Read all of the labels.,,,,, Chocolate Truffle and Brownie Mix

Thank you,
Monica,KY