From:
Cindy Kaplan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cindy Kaplan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:40:49 -0600

Hi everyone:

I noticed some concern about Fruitrim (a proprietary ingredient made of natural fruit juices and grain dextrin), and whether or not it is truly gluten-free and corn-free. I spoke with Fred Greenland, president of Advanced Ingredients and one of the inventors who developed Fruitrim, and he asked me to pass along this message to you (he is away from his computer at a conference and wanted to disseminate this information promptly):

"Fruitrim is totally corn-free and gluten-free. Rice is the sole base of the grain dextrin in Fruitrim. Advanced Ingredients has supplied this product to manufacturers of gluten-free foods for some time with no difficulties reported. We take great care to ensure that there is no opportunity from the field in which the rice is grown to the holding area where packaged products sits for cross-contamination with other grains."

Though "grain dextrin" on a package does not necessarily imply it is Fruitrim, it almost always is when it comes to gluten-free and corn-free foods. When in doubt, ask the manufacturer. (BTW, Enjoy Life Foods' products all use Fruitrim!)

Cindy R. Kaplan
VP / Marketing Director
Enjoy Life Foods
888.50.ENJOY