EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katherine Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:22:05 -0500
I have been to CSUN a number of times and have traveled to a conference
with my director who uses a power wheelchair.  Flying with a power chair
is always a challenge.  However, the problems can be minimized by tking
a direct flight, if a t possible.  Also, if you have things that are
removable like your joystick and/or foot rests, taking a bag to put them
in as carry on is also a good idea.  My director took a bag and
disconnected his joy sitck and put it in the bag for carryon before he
turned the chair over to the airlines.  You also need to make sure your
batteries are gel - they don't like the ones with acid in them.

Super Shuttle has accessible vans that you can arrange for ahead of
time.  Also, they provide shuttle service that is free during the
conference to go back and forth between the two hotels.  As far as
accessibility goes, either location is great.  I have stayed at both
hotels and found the Marriott to have more of the receptions, after
hours get togethers, etc.  It also houses most of the exhibits and a
little over half of the sessions.  The Hilton is the quieter of the two
hotels and the one I prefer to stay at.  It's really a matter of
personal preference.

I use a scooter for long distances as I work at a medium size
univeristy.  I haven't taken it with me to CSUN yet because of the
shuttle.  However, there have been times when I've wished I had it just
from the ability to go between the two hotels in the evening and
maneuvering around the hotels themselves.

Have fun.  Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can answer
any more questions.

Katherine Myers
Assistant Director
Office of Disability Services