EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Richard Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:31:49 -0700
Dear Jack,
This is not that new.      OLYMPUS DM-20 and  several Sony products will do the same thing.   All have a USB cable that ports the audio file from the digital recorder to a PC.  The PC converts the audio into e-text.  The audio recording is converted by a voice recognition system like Naturally Speaking or ViaVoice.

There is a product called Naturally Speaking Mobile which comes with a digital recorder.

This product was designed for a user to dictate into the recorder and then later save the audio files as text on a computer.  You still must train Naturally Speaking or ViaVoice.  The quality of the audio recording will depend on where you sit in the classroom, the acoustics of the classroom and whether the instructor has consistent diction.    Naturally Speaking can work without training, but it is much better if the instructor trains it.
 Saint Mary's University in Nova Scotia started working with IBM and several universities in 1999 or 2000.   I went  back to look at the grant  program, but ASU had no money to  be a contributing  school.    The Saint Mary's program had dedicated instructors who worked to update vocabularies and keep the software accurate.
http://www.smu.ca/thetimes/dec01/article_stanford.html

http://www.smu.ca/thetimes/nov/liberated.html

Here is a review of the technology.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/m/s/mse1/technology/mobile.html