EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joan Redemann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:05:39 -0400
I have worked with a similar boy with Asperger's syndrome.  Also familiar
with this type of software.  The best software I have seen for
speech-to-text translation for this type of issue is "Dragon Naturally
Speaking".   Although, it may be pointed out, that not all children with
Asperger's syndrome have the same ability to speak well enough to use this
type of software.  Some children (and adults) actually find they are better
able to perform with typing instead of speaking.  However, it sounds from
the message that they sent, that they feel this software could be of use.
Sometimes one of the issues with Asperger's is a difficulty with oral
expression.  It really depends a lot on the particular individual.

Joan Redemann
LAN Administrator
State of Florida, Department of Children & Families
Economic Self-Sufficiency Program Office
1317 Winewood Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL  32399
(850)921-5500

                      "Wisdom, Ann"
                      <Ann.Wisdom@CCRA-        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      ADRC.GC.CA>              cc:
                      Sent by: "* EASI:        Subject:  Information Needed please
                      Equal Access to
                      Software &
                      Information"
                      TJOHNS.EDU>

                      06/04/03 03:53 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "* EASI: Equal
                      Access to
                      Software &
                      Information"

I received the following from a friend and they need help. I am in Toronto,
Ontario. Even web links would be greatly appreciated. She writes the
following:

The little boy, has Asperger's Disease (Syndrom).  It is a side of Autism.
He is fully functioning, has real social problems and putting pen to paper.
They are looking for software that would allow him to speak into the
computer and the computer would then translate the words onto screen for
him.  Anything you can give me for them would be great.  The young lad is
10
years old.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Ann
Ann E. Wisdom
416-707-0642