From:
Joan Feddish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Feddish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:54:19 -0400

Hello all,

This is a question for celiac moms who have breastfed their children. I am
pregnant and trying to determine best course of action to keep my child's
immune system strong and to avoid gluten intolerance and food allergies.

My question is how long did you breastfeed? Did you provide formula or
cereal while breast feeding? When did you introduce cereal and formula? Did
you specifically avoid casein, gluten and/or soy? Did you find your overall
course of action successful? If so, why? If not, what would you have
changed?

I am trying to ascertain a general consensus on what has worked best for
most moms and their children. I am aware of the recent diabetes study where
cereal introduction between 4-6 months may be an appropriate window, and I
am aware of previous studies that indicate waiting until the child is at
least 1 year old to introduce gluten and better yet providing breast milk
while introducing gluten after 1 year of age.

In speaking with many nonceliac moms, most cease breastfeeding before 1 year
for a variety of reasons. Some have pumped breast milk after ceasing
breastfeeding and provided the breast milk via bottle.

Many thanks to you all. I will summarize.

Kindest regards,

Joan in PA