From:
". biddle" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
. biddle
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:08:34 -0400

Listers,

I had a number of responses from my gluten-free baby formula question.
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

Plenty of responses who noted that breast is best.  We're going to try and
avoid formula altogether. But just in case Mom runs off to an island in the
south pacific to get away from Dad and Baby, I'll have a great backup plan,
thanks to this list serve.

Below are a few of the responses:
______________________
Nutramagen formula is the best, how be it expensive.
______________________
The last time I checked, Similac was gluten-free. That is what we gave my
son, who is about to turn 2, when he was a baby. We do not know if he was CD
yet. My 4 year old son has it, but we chose to keep my youngest gluten-free
while he was developing and trying to walk and talk. Good luck!
_______________________
My baby tried every formula there is! All enfamil is GF, Similac is GF. We
even did the soy and it was GF! I also checked w/ ingredients on the
generic. They are identical to ones on the brands- but had a few things I
was unsure of. I wrote to Shelley Case, and she explained that they were
just minerals. SO- lots of options for you guys. When in doubt, call the
manufacturer.
________________________
After my 13 month old son was diagnosed with CD, he was put on Alimentum
with wonderful results!!!
_________________________
I used an organic formula (when living in MA) that I bought from Natures
Health in Hanover (also in Quincy).  I am sorry but I can't remember the
name of it.  I believe it is also available in Bread and Circus [Whole
Foods].  I kept my son GF for 1 yr. but now after reading new literature I
have heard they should be kept GF for 3 yrs.  Just a little FYI.
_________________________
I'm a mom 5 times over, the last time I had twins, they are 20 months old
now and I still breastfeed, we call it mommy's milk.  They are gluten free
because the other three kids and myself are.

Please contact La Leche League (LLL), they are a world wide breastfeeding
organization.  (a great support group)
http://www.lalecheleague.org/

http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html

I use Enfamil and Good Start formulas.