From:
Annemarie Gable <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Annemarie Gable <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:11:51 -0500

Hi All,

We're back from vacation and had a wonderful time.  The Daily Menu Natural
Food store at Mile Post 6 in Kill Devil Hills had a good assortment of
gluten free foods.  When I told them I was looking for GF food for my
daughter, they asked if she had celiac and then brought me around the store
to point out everything they had.  The selection included bread, lavash
bread, pizza crust, pasta, waffles, Gluten Free Pantry mixes, and cookies.

As far as eating out, we didn't do too much of it.  Partly because she's 2,
partly because the people we were with wanted to go to restaurants that
really couldn't accommodate her diet.  We did go to the Outback in Nag's
Head and had a very positive experience there.  We brought her food with us
to the other two restaurants we went to.  (Awful Arthur's and Carolina
Seafood)  Both were heavy on the fried food and I didn't even try to
communicate her dietary needs, though she did share my salad at both places
(no croutons, brought packets of her Annie's Ranch dressing).

Because we drove, we were able to bring a lot of her food with us (even the
cold stuff in a cooler that we plug into the cigarette lighter).

I did get a lot of great suggestions from members of the list and hope to
use them when she's older.  Thanks to everyone for taking a lot of the
stress out of our vacation.