From:
Adam and Emily Low <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam and Emily Low <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:53:45 -0500

Hi -
A few of my non-celiac friends who really want to help me not get sick
at their houses have asked me this question, and I don't know how to
answer it for them.  I have searched around the archives, and it seems
that most people will eat food that is prepared on a grill (some only
with wiping) that may have had marinated meats that are non-GF and also
that most people trust their dishwasher to clean dishes, etc. well
enough even if there are both GF and non-GF dishes in at the same time.
I realize that the effectiveness of the dishwasher depends on both the
loader and the machine itself, so maybe that is where the differences in
opinion come in. But what about commercial dishwashers?  Just as iffy?
I truthfully have not eaten out enough to know.

Being a very reactive celiac, who has spent just as much time glutenized
as healthy since my diagnosis almost a year ago despite all of my hard
work, I am paranoid.  I fully admit it and have good reasons to be.

So, How tough is gluten?  Can it survive a good heating on the grill? Or
will it burn up and become unable to hurt me?  Can it survive a
dishwashing? I know that food particles can, so I was wondering why
people are not worried about dishwashers.  Can it survive bleach? What
does kill gluten??  I know that a good hot water and soap washing with a
GF sponge has been working pretty well for my dishes, but beyond that, I
am not sure.

Thanks, Emily