Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 11:53:34 -0600

Thanks to EVERYONE who replied to me. I have summarized by giving the
numbers recommended that I received for each machine, as well as including
the text everyone provided since some of you may want to search out the
recommended web sites for getting the best prices for these bread machines.

8 recommendations for Zojirushi
6 recommendations for Breadman
3 recommendations for Oster
1 recommendation for Sunbeam

I will still keep using the Oster I bought as long as it keeps working since
it is too late for me to return it to the store where I purchased it, but I
will probably buy another Zojiruski the next time. My first Zo did a great
job for six years.

Darla Straka in Albuquerque, NM

Joan said: Go on the internet and enter Zojirushi.com and you should be able
to track the closest place to buy them.  I did that and then found them at
Barrie, Ontario, and I just live 2 hours away. Give it a try, and see how it
goes.

Dawn said: The Zojirushi is a little cheaper at the following online stores:
Everythinghome.com $138.00 (S&H $20), WalMart $149.00 (S&H 11.00),
Amazon.com $148.99 (FREE SHIPPING!)

 Cathy Frank said: I got my Zojirushi V20 from amazon.com - new for $149
which incld. shipping. I really think it's great.

 Janet Wager said: I just did a search for Zojirushi and found it on the
internet for $139. I think someone said they had found it for $129..just
search, I still think it's the best machine around.

Bobbie said: I don't think you can beat the Zo for GF breads.  The price at
the GF Pantry is steep.  I did buy mine from them as I live nearby, so I
don't pay S&H. plus I knew they could help me as I embarked upon GF baking.
But do a search on the web and I'm sure you can get it for much less.  It's
worth it even if it's a few dollars above your budget.

Cheryl in Colorado said: I you can find someone who is a Costco member, go
to their website at www.costco.com  and find the Zojurushi Machine
for $125.00 plus shipping.  This is the cheapest I have found.  It is also a
newer model that makes a horizontal loaf and allows you to program knead,
rise and cook times. Tip: As soon as the machine finishes kneading, reach in
and pull out the paddles for almost hole-less bread.

Mary in NH said: buy it from Costco it's $124.99 +shipping.

Amy and Ed Hogan said: Check cooking.com.  The prices seem to be better and
no shipping costs.

Jenn said: Wow - I have had an Oster and I use like the Gluten Free Pantry
bread mix and it works great.  I've also tried some of the make
at home recipes from Bette Hagman and they have worked okay - with
exception of a few that i believe were old yeast.  I'm also high
altitude so I mix in a little extra starch of some sort.  They are
always way better than the store bought hard loaves.

But I have had my Oster for almost 5 years now - with no problems.
Still kicking away - even got my brother one because he used to
use my constantly when he stayed with me for a while- I was making a couple
loaves a week for a while.  Maybe there's just some adjustments you need to
make with the ingredients before you go spend another couple hundred and
wait to see how long the Oster lasts.

Joyce Etheridge said: I have a Oster Bread Machine and have used it for 3
years. Have not really had any problems with it. Just once the middle thing
didn't rotate so my huband took it apart and he got it working. Have not had
any problems since then. I usually make Betty Hagman's Featherlight Bread
Recipe and some times have made 2 loaves in one day so it can get a workout.
So far I have been pretty happy with it. I found that with Betty's recipe to
put the setting on Wheat or 2 for cook time and 3 hr. and 40 min. and have
not had a problem. Just have to watch the amount of water you put in the
bread. It can overflow and burn on the sides of pan and the burners. Then
the bread may not get done in the center but otherwise it is a good recipe
for this machine.

PMPeck said: Any bread machine that can be programmed to avoid the extra
cycle for rising will work.  I find it much easier to make the bread with a
mixer by mixing for 3 minutes on high.  Let the bread rise in a warm place
for about 20 minutes.  Bake about 40 minutes.  It really isn't much
different than baking a cake.  We use the extra large tuna cans with Pam to
make hamburger buns, and a heavy duty bread pan for the loaf of bread.  One
large bread recipe by Bette Hagman will make both a loaf of bread and about
six buns.  If you can find time to put premeasured amounts of dry
ingredients in plastic bags, it is quicker to mix the bread.  Gluten-Free
Pantry sells a French bread mix in a small white bag that is especially easy
to bake.  The yeast is in a small packet inside the bag.  My daughter seldom
bakes, but she thought this was a cinch.

Kay said: I have a Sunbeam that my granddaughter bought for me as a gift.
She probably paid $35 to $40 for it. I have used it almost daily
for the past two years and it is still going strong. I am quite
satisfied with it.

cpfund said: I bought the Breadman Ultimate for $99 at Sears and haven't had
a challenge yet! It allows you to set your own programs and I don't have to
help it along much at all.

Andrea said: The 2 machines that allow you to program your own settings are
the Zojirishi, and the Breadman Ultimate machine.  The Breadman Ultimate
sells for about $100 at places like Bed, Bath, and Beyond, or Linens and
Things.

I have the Breadman, it is great.  Make bread at least once a week for the
past 2 years.

d.b.massey said: I am using a Breadman machine and happy with it. I
purchased it at Target. I order a case of bread bags from Bob's Red Mill,
put in add eggs and milk, ready to go.

Jo Beckwith said: I have Breadman Ultimate (model 2200, I think).  It's
pretty programmable.  My Bed, Bath & Beyond sells it for $100, and they
routinely send coupons in the mail for 20% off one item, which reduced the
cost even more.

Marvin in Rochester,NY said: I have been using the Breadman TR2200C for more
than a year and have found it a very satisfactory machine for gluten free
bread making. I like the normal loaf shape it produces.  I called Red Star
Yeast Company to obtain programming information which can be stored for
future use. I had previously used the Welbilt150 programmable machine which
makes a round loaf and is no longer available. I got my machine for about
$100 plus shipping at www.noveltyandmore.com