From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:36:01 -0700

This is long over due.  We went to Palm Springs back in April of this year.  We did have a great time and found people to be most helpful.  They could use a new and improved health food store.  Thank goodness they have a Trader Joes.  Below are the replies I got and I'll also add my own experiences.  Thank you to all that replied and helped, especially to Linda who I got a chance to meet while there.

1)  Believe it or not, there is a Mexican restaurant call Las Consuelo's on South
Palm Canyon...one of the most popular restaurants in Palm Springs...that can
make a gluten free dinner.  I ask for the steak and refried beans with corn
tortillas (it may be a cheese enchilada, I'm not good with menu names).  I
have had it on several occasions with no problems, other than really feeling
full afterward.

I also go to a new place called The Chop House (or upstairs at the Deck).  If
you get a good waiter and explain your diet they will try to accommodate you.

The popular downtown diner, called Ruby's, is OK for salads, but watch out
for the salad dressings.

2)  Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a guide with 50 restaurants
and their gluten/wheat free menu items.

3)  Contact CDF Connections leader Linda Borses (760) 777-8840 for suggestions for appropriate restaurants in the Desert.

4)  My favorite old standbys are the steak houses and there are several in
Palm Springs. I've had good luck at LG's and The Falls...if you like
steak. At The Falls, I get any of their steaks WITHOUT THE ONION RINGS
and a baked potato! If you indulge, their martinis with Chopin (potato)
Vodka are terrific! (I am sensitive even to distilled spirits!) Pretty
much the same at LG's. Other than those, it can be pretty frustrating.
I've tried some seafood places (don't remember exactly where cause I
live further east in the Palm Desert area) and if you can get the
message through to them that the fish literally has to have nothing on
it (maybe butter) and grilled on a clean grill, then you may be ok. They
can't do too much damage to grilled salmon! There's also a Tony Roma's
and their sauces and food are mostly GF; I've had pretty good luck
there.

If you get as far east as Rancho Mirage, be sure to try P.F. Chang's at
the River! They have a terrific GF menu on the web and most of the
servers are familiar with it; or talk to a manager. Oh yes, there's Thai
Smile. I believe they're in Palm Springs as well as Rancho Mirage.

5)  We did well at the Hyatt.  We also went to LG's (or L&G's) Steak House and had good luck.

6)  In P.S.  - The Falls, Cedar Creek Inn, The Great Wall, Las Casuelas Mexican Restaurant,

In Palm Desert; Try  the Outback restaurant, Elephant Bar, Daily Grill, Bonanaz Palm Desert on Hwy 111.

In Rancho Mirage; Las Casuelas Nuevas (very popular and great atmosphere and beautiful patio for dining outside)   Lord Fletcher's for the best Prime Rib.

7)  We now have a Connections person for the Coachella Valley.  Please contact Linda Borses at [log in to unmask], phone (760) 777-8840.  I'm sure she can help you regarding Palm Springs resources.

8)  Regarding Las Casuelas:  To be on the safe side, I usually order Chicken Fajitas, it comes with rice beans.  Stay away from the enchiladas and chili relleno, because most restaurant add flour to sauce.  The chips and salsa are safe.  Whatever you order, make sure you ask for the CORN tortillas.  Tacos  and tostados are safe no matter whether they're chicken, beef, etc.

The Flan for dessert is safe too.  BE SURE TO CALL AHEAD FOR RESERVATIONS AND IT GETS CROWED DURING SPRING BREAK HERE.