From:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:52:27 -0400

Thanks for the replies!

For right now I am going to try to do the obvious:  eat more!  expecially
trying to get more of my calories from carbohydrates!  Some other
suggestions were to get a lot of exercise, get checkup with internist.

I started having new health problems last summer, when i developed
tendinitis in one elbow.  A family doctor recommended ibuprofen.  i have
since heard -- i'm not sure about the reliability of this -- that NSAIDs
like ibuprofen increase gut permeability so they are like to make food
intolerance reactions WORSE.

The tendinitis didn't go away, and my other elbow got tendinitis too!  And
my knees started hurting off and on.

An allergist had recommended a low-yeast diet to me but gradually i had
stopped all those dietary restrictions and i was drinking a lot of milk,
eating wheat noodles maybe every other day, eating cheese on a bagel for
lunch like a "normal person".

I started feeling really icky last winter, my mind had stopped working, i
felt like i was in mental sludge.  And while i'm in ok shape physically,
I bicycle around a lot, i got fatigued in the sense that i was going
to sleep at 8 pm, tired.

Start of February i figured i would do the elimination diet/food
challenges to find out if food was the problem.  I got immediate results:
I eliminated yeasty foods for a week, then ate two slices of yeast rye
bread and I got horribly bloated for 4 days.  So, I went on the supposedly
hypoallergenic elimination diet for a week -- meat, fruit, veggies, oatmeal,
rice.

I felt GREAT on the elimination diet.  My food challenges with milk and
wheat made me sick for a day, so i stopped eating them.  For the past
three months it has been me either feeling wonderful, with more
energy than I've had in years, or crappy.  I have had clear reactions to
milk, all gluten grains, rice and apples.  I think also i am reacting to
food with yeast that didn't give me a problem a couple of months ago,
like an ounce of dried cranberries and some grapes that had been around
for a few days made me sick for an afternoon (I think).  Maybe becuase the
pollen and mold in the air is a lot worse.

I went on a rotation diet after realizing I have multiple intolerances.
What that means is that if I eat a food on a day, I don't eat it again
until 4 days later, grouping some foods together.  It is meant to prevent
developing new intolerances.  It is a well-nourishing way to eat because
it's very varied.  It also exposes food sensitivities because the body
learns to hide a food sensitivity if you eat it oftener than once every 4
days.  I don't know if I have the celiac kind of gluten intolerance.  My
joint pains could be food intolerance.

Thanks everyone,
laura