Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:24:19 -0400

i have been gluten free since early April; from start of Feb to early
April I was eating spelt  about 1/4 days, which I thought maybe I was
reacting to ... before start of Feb I was eating  wheat about every other
day.

So can I get a gluten intolerance diagnosis ... I got the blood tests for
gluten intolerance mid-May.  They were negative except  that I had
somewhat higher IgG anti-gliadian antibodies than normal.

There is a rectal gluten challenge which diagnoses celiac disease up to
6 months after going gluten free (look  it up on the Net if you are
curious about it).  But, I don't know if it's available in the US.  Also,
I don't know if it diagnoses  other kinds of gluten intolerance besides
the celiac disease  -- i would  be interested to know if i have elevated
IgA antibodies to gliadin in my blood, not just in the intestines.

There is some kind of test for the genetic predisposition for celiac
disease -- how sensitive and specific is it for celiac D?  Does it show
predisposition for other kinds of gluten intolerance?   Can you get it in
the US?

Are there other tests?

I really don't want to do a gluten challenge,  which would mean eating
normal amounts of gluten  for 4-6 weeks.  I have gone from  being
hypersensitive and emotionally upset a lot and super-anxious  on the
gluten, to much calmer now, like I can interact with  people without
getting  upset a lot and I can take care of daily life much more easily,
and  my mind  is clearer.

It would be  nice to have a   solid diagnosis though.  So I know
definitely if i should just never eat gluten again, So I  could get
hospitals etc. to give me a gluten-free diet, so I could have something
definite to persuade  my relatives to get the gluten intolerance blood
tests.

So what do you think?  Thanks for help,
Laura