From:
MICHELE SAYER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:27:22 -0000
Hi, I sympathize with you regarding this family. I know of a family pretty
much the same, although they don't actually 'break' the computer as such,
they keep altering all of the settings, and clicking on things without
reading them. Of course, everytime this happens, I get a phone call asking
me to come and sort it out. It does get pretty tedious, as often, when I
look into it, they've changed passwords and things like that, thinking that
they can make them up whenever the mood takes them.Another thing they do is
delete system files. They don't seem to understand that you can't do that.
They began with win98se, and then progressed to xp, but they are all still
clueless about how a computer works. They sold one computer after upgrading
to xp, as they were convinced that it was no good, when I'm sure it was a
software problem.
Needless to say, they are having pretty much the same problems with this
brand new computer, which was bought at a reputable shop.One day after they
received it, someone in the household changed some of the settings.
Someone else I know, even thought the computer would defrag and scandisk
while it was turned off!
I think common sense is sometimes an issue here, and some people need to
learn to read before they click.
I would suggest that the family take some kind of computer course, even if
only to learn the basics.
I find win98 the easiest to work with personally, but alot of people prefer
xp.
I have this strange feeling that this family will 'break' whichever o/s they
are using, as do the family I was speaking of.
Maybe the abacus is a good idea? haha
Good luck, you'll need it.
M.Sayer

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: