Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:25:37 -0700
> Meat on the other hand has a couple of problems in my
> mind and both of them have to do with cooking.
> Oxidized fats and more importantly advanced glycation
> end products which cause cardiovascular problems,
> cancer, and other nasties that I don't want to be
> dealing with as I get older.  If you haven't heard of
> AGE's do a Google search and get ready for some
> depressing reading.  One more thing to be worried
> about.
Are you saying raw meat as well as cooked?
I just read in the latest "Eating Well" magazine an article titled
"temperature control". It says in part "Dr. Helen Vlassara, Head of the
division of experimental diabetes and aging at the Mount Sinai School of
Medicine, found that foods prepared with high-heat cooking methods, such as
frying baking and broiling, can raise blood-stream AGEs to toxic levels that
can promote inflammation, leading to tissue injury especially diabetics."
So it sounds like less cooking is best after all.
Another article in the same issue is titled "Stone Age Lessons" and includes
quotes and references of many of our favorite authors and books.