From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:38:56 -0500
__________________________________
Once again, the tail of a post has been lost.  For those who are
interested in where I was leading with my post of half an hour ago, read
on:
__________________________________

Alcohol is available to these traumatized societies and to individuals
within these societies in many ways: at different relative prices, in
containers that can facilitate or retard binge drinking, in social
settings where there is irresistible peer pressure to participate through
to alcohol-induced violence and denigration of non-participants like
elders, women and beyond (don't participate, and you cease being a peer),
under different legal constraints etc.

So it is a complex phenomenon we are talking about.  Just because we can
have a shot at encapsulating it as a 'problem' or even a constellation of
problems, does not mean there is a 'solution'.  Human life is not like
that.  Any success in reducing the impact of the problem will reverberate
through the group and change it, too.  There is a dynamic, iterative
process at work.  The likely result is that the group will become less
like their forebears as they change.

Keith