From:
Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:57:29 -0700
On the issue of fishing, I read a book called "The
Madness of Adam and Eve," basically about the
evolution of man and schizophrenia. It's written by
David Horrobin, a well known researcher, and he spends
a lot of time talking about n-3 fatty acids and
evolution.

His claim basically is that human beings were once
creatures who lived near water, and that we got a lot
of our food from there. He mentions that many human
remains are found near river. One thing I remember
thinking at the time is exactly how easy it is to get
marine food. As a very non-proficient hunter, I would
never have been able to catch a squirrel let alone a
deer. But when I was a kid I remember catching
crayfish and also peeling muscles off of rocks to eat
-- it really is't all that hard to do. Even fish are
pretty easy to get if you have some kind of a spear,
because they don't really notice us until we get
pretty close to where they are. If you can stand up
with a vantage point over the water, you can get
pretty close to fish as long as you don't cast a
shadow over the water -- or at least that's my
impression.

Of course, insects are also pretty easy to get, and I
think the idea that we could get fatty acids by
breaking open skulls and bones is also persuasive
(broken bones are found at hominid finds as well).

Jens