From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 09:06:17 +0200
Eva,

thiamin works as a coenzyme which means it is *used up* in the process
of glycolysis (first breakdown step for glucose).
This means thiamin is necessary in a minimum ratio to carbohydrate.
If you eat very little carbohydrate (like low-carb) your thiamin need
decreases. One way to relax your thiamin need.

If you eat processed food ("refined") or cooked food then you get less
thiamin than the original source had. The pathway to break down
carbohydrate is (almost) the same in all living beeings from bacteria
over plants to animals and humans. So if you eat cooked or refined food
you loose some of the thiamin the original source had itself and
therefore you loose the ability to make glucose to energy.
Unless the original source had more thiamin than necessary to break down
it's own carb storages. Most grains have more thiamin as carb storage,
probably in expectation for new glucose to come in from photosynthesis.

Beriberi means exately this: not enough thiamin to use the carb energy
(glucose). This goes as far as the muscles of the heart and the nerves
don't have enough energy to work anymore. The subject dies of beeing
unable to breath, work the heart, move gut contents, operate the brain.

Beriberi is prevented by less-than optimal quantities of thiamine.
The heart and brain work.
But some glucose will be left in the blood, and the body has no means to
discard it from the blood. (Should lead to insulin resistance I would
expect).

Here you have a list of thiamin sources with their ratio to the carb:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9907&L=paleofood&P=R125
More discussion on this is in the archives. Like:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S2=paleofood&q=thiamin+and+ratio&a=jan+99

The most thiamin per weight have sunflower seeds (2.0mg/100g) and pork
is not bad (0.9mg/100g, uncooked).
Pork is in the range most seeds (including nuts) have (~0.5-0.7 mg/100g)
while from grains you'd have to eat bigger amounts anyway, and while
pork has no own carb.
The best source per kcal (which reflects the amount you could eat per
day) is yeast (18 mg per 1000kcal, pork is 5.5 sunflower is 3.3).

Who said that paleo humans didn't eat seeds?

regards

Amadeus S.