NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:40:26 -0400
Hi -

I noticed one message in which the child in question couldn't tolerate
breastmilk or milk formula as an infant, so went onto soy formula.

When this happens, the most frequent problem is an allergen that the
lactating mother ate passing into her breastmilk and hence upsetting her
infant.  For readers of the no-milk list, the problem allergen was probably
milk protein.  And as we all know, it's difficult getting milk protein
completely out of your diet, especially if you're an exhausted new mother,
a novice at no-milk eating, and don't display any allergic signs *yourself*
to tip you off that you've eaten a no-no.

But it's worth the effort, since breastfeeding does help fight the ainto-
(oops) anti-allergy war in your infant's developing system.

If you're interested, or are about to have another baby, the newsgroup
misc.kids.breastfeeding is a treasure trove of information on nursing,
allergies, introducing solids, etc.

Hoping I'm not too off-topic,
--Beth Kevles
  Disclaimer:  Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
  advice.  Please consult with your own medical practicioner.