AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:10:20 GMT
Please share this with friends, colleagues, anyone who might be interested in joining us..... On the evening of September 11, the Mid-Illinois Talking Book Center, the Bensenville (IL) Community Public Library, and Talking Communities (<http://www.talkingcommunities.com>) will host a very special evening of reminiscence for America's senior citizens.

Through a unique internet connection, senior citizens from around the country will be encouraged to share their memories of September 11, 2001, and December 7, 1941. Although the discussion will be facilitated by computers, no typing need be involved -- participants will simply speak into a microphone and they will be heard by and able to interact with other participants, regardless where in the world they are. The broadcast will begin at 7:00, central standard time. To participate, simply click on the link found at: www.bensenville.lib.il.us/911. The link will become active around 6:30 p.m., and you may want to arrive a bit early to test your connection and familiarize yourself with the site.

All you need to join us is an internet connection. To be able to participate through voice, and to hear the other participants, you will need a soundcard, speakers, and a pc microphone. If you do not have a microphone, you can pick one up at Wal-Mart for about $8.00. Here at Bensenville, we will be hosting a group from a local retirement home. We will project the site onto our meeting room screen, and those who wish to talk will share a microphone. We will also be encouraging anyone else in the community, regardless of age, to join us. It is not necessary to have a high-speed connection to participate, so those at home with a simple dial-up connection are also encouraged to join us.

September 11, 2001, was a seminal moment in history, one of those moments when everyone alive can recall exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news. So it was on December 7, 1941. There was no internet then, no on-the-spot-television coverage. We do not have the moment-by-moment filmed records of the event as we do for September 11. What we do have, but will not have forever, is our collective memory. Please join us on September 11 and share with your children and grandchildren and all future generations where you were, what you were doing, and how your life changed on December 7, 1941, and again on September 11, 2001. The entire program will be recorded and available for replay.

This program is a part of the Bensenville Library's observance of September 11. We believe there is no greater icon of American freedom and democracy than the free public library. We will, therefore, remain open for the entire 24-hours of September 11. We believe that libraries represent freedom of expression, celebration of diversity, a playing field that is level, preservation of heritage, and a commitment to the future. We believe there can be no better way, therefore, to commemorate the events of September 11 than for the public library stand with doors wide open throughout the entire 24-hour period.

Libraries Remember December 7, 1941 and September 11, 2001, is being co-sponsored by the Mid-Illinois Talking Book Center, a public library for individuals with visual, physical, and learning disabilities, Talking Communities (<http://www.talkingcommunities.com>), "New Communication for the Next Generation," and the Bensenville Community Public Library District. If you have questions, please direct them to: [log in to unmask] or call Bill at 630-766-4642.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

---------------------------
September online courses on accessible information technology:
Barrier-free Information Technology http://easi.cc/workshops/adaptit.htm
Advanced Barrier-free Web Design http://easi.cc/workshops/advwbsyl.htm
LD and Information Technology http://easi.cc/workshops/ld.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
CCourses and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm
To sign off this list:
Send e-mail to [log in to unmask] saying
signoff axslib-l