From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:06:26 -0500
Hi,

Putting Memory in Older boards and it's not reading correctly! You're Not
alone. Basically, anything with 16x8,16 chips double sided is compatible with
everything. something new like 16x16 or 32x8, 4 or 8 chips single side only
compatible with the latest boards. As a rule of thumb, anything for
upgrades or service you better stick with the older more expensive 16 chips
modules.

The manufacturors have changed the density of the "black modules" and have
made what was double sided - only single sided, to save costs and lower
prices.  You are not alone  = everyone is running into the same problem
trying to update the memory on older systems for today's software.

2 possible solutions:
1) if possible, go for a BIOS update on the main board, so the Older board
knows how to handle the newer chips, if available from board manufacturer
or Bios Manufactorer.

2) buy much more expensive double sided memory -

At 08:49 PM 01/16/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>In my computer I had three memory chips: 2-64 meg chips and 1-128 meg
chip. I decided to buy at different times, 2-256 mg chips. When I went to
install them, I took out the 2-64 meg chips and left the 128 meg chip in
and added 2-256 meg chips. Now the memory only shows 392 meg installed. I
read recently that chips can only be installed in pairs of equal value. If
this is not the case do you have any ideas? the mother board is an Abit
BE6-II. Thanks for the help.

>            Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

God Bless America!

Joe Lore