From:
Fredrik Murman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:08:40 -0500
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I can only guesstimate.  The energy yield of 100g is about 400 kcal
>(actually a bit more).  Since all fats are about 9 kcal/g, that means
>that the *most* palmitic acid you could produce from 100g of
>carbohydrate would be 400/9= 44g. [...]

Interesting. I never thought of using the energy density of these two
compounds. I was trying to find out the biochemical reactions resulting in
palmitic acid from glucose, and use these reactions for calculations.

>>Excuse my ignorance. Can body store dietary saturated fatty acids, or are
>>they just floating around in the blood stream?
>
>Both.  They float around in the blood stream as free fatty a
cids up to a
>certain concentration, but since they *are* acids, they acidify the
>blood, so to maintain  normal pH they must also be taken out of the
>bloodstream.  This happens as they are used by cells for energy, and
>also by being stored in fat cells.

If SFAs can be stored in fat cells, then how come one does not get fat by
eating SFAs, or is it possible if one exceeds a certain limit?

Thanks
Fredrik