Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:50:58 EST
I bought my first quarter of a grass fed beef this fall from a farmer in
Northern Florida who came highly recommended.  8 hour drive each way from Key West
where we live.  These cows are not sent to feed lots to bulk up on grains
prior to slaughter.  They are driven by him one or two at a time to a small local
slaughter house 30 miles from where he is located, and slaughtered within the
week.  During their time there, they are in a pasture where they eat grass
until slaughtered.  I have seen this as we went there to pick up the meat.  The
meat is wonderfully tasty.  The fat is a deep yellowish green from having
eaten grass only.  It is more flavorful than grain fed beef, but steaks and roasts
are not quite as tender.  High in Omega 3, and each time I eat some of the
beef, I am grateful to have found him.  Price is very reasonable.  $2.75 pound
hanging weight for a quarter.  Hanging weight was 140 pounds.  We ended up with
about 110 pounds of beef for under $400.  Plus about 25 pounds of bones for
our dogs who are fed raw.  Cheaper yet if you buy a half cow.  Cheapest if you
buy the whole cow.  Next time I will see if I can a few folks who want to eat
grass fed beef to go in on a whole cow with me.  They also carry pasture fed
lamb in season.  I plan on buying that too.
Susan

It would be interesting to know whether the "grass fed" beef are sent to
feed lots to bulk up on grains for several weeks prior to slaughter.   I
have contacted the producers of beef sold at our local health food store and
found that their "grass fed" beef has all been sent to feed lots