From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:02:18 -0400
>A few months ago, Smithsonian had an article about the many centenarians
>in--where was it?--Nova Scotia, I think.

The abstract to the full article is on the Smithsonian website;

http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues03/jan03/centenarians.html

Marilyn

. . .

Puzzle of the Century

Is it the fresh air, the seafood, or genes? Why do so many hardy
100-year-olds live in yes, Nova Scotia?

Betty Cooper lives in her own apartment in Halifax, Nova Scotia. At 101
years old, she is a diamond-quality centenarian, whose body and brain appear
to be made of a special material that has scarcely worn down.

What's her secret? Just being a Nova Scotian may have something to do with
it. At least that's the suspicion of medical researchers who plan to study
Cooper and others in Nova Scotia to learn more about the reasons for their
very long—and hardy—lives. In parts of Nova Scotia, centenarians are up to 3
times more common than they are in the United States as a whole, and up to
16 times more common than they are in the world population.

Nova Scotians have their own theories. "We're by the sea, and we get a lot
of fresh air," says Grace Mead, 98, of Halifax. "I've always been one for
fresh air."

"I was a very careful young girl," says Hildred Shupe,102, of Lunenburg. "I
never went around with men."

"I mind my own business," says Cora Romans, 100, of Halifax.

"The Lord just expanded my life, I guess," says Elizabeth Slauenwhite, 99,
of Lunenburg. "I'm in His hands, and He looked after me."

Medical researchers are especially interested in two parts of the Canadian
province where extraordinary longevity is most common, with up to 50
centenarians per 100,000 people. Intriguingly, each area is a world of its
own, populated to a significant degree by descendants of original settlers.
And as researchers have learned, longevity tends to run in families. As one
geriatrician says in the article by Mary Duenwald, "It's very possible that
the 100-year-olds in Nova Scotia have some genetic factor that has protected
them."

Abstract of an article by Mary Duenwald, originally published in the January
2003 issue of Smithsonian. All rights reserved.

FAX: 1-508-437-5514