From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:39:44 +0900
On Sunday, June 29, 2003, at 03:54  AM, E. McCreery wrote:

>> Good points. I am interested in the ones that WERE eaten.
>
> It would be interesting to know, but unlikely that we will find out.

I don't know, seems you could just walk through any small African
town's market and look and see what they eat. Most of the local fruits
and vegetables should be closely related to the paleo originals. That
might not be all of them, but it should give a good sample. I saw that
in Central America, the town markets had an astounding variety of
fruits and vegetables that I had never seen before, some of them
wonderfully delicious. I suppose Africa would be the same, but the
fruits would not be new world, but those really paleo African fruits.

A while back someone on this list went to Ghana. What did you see in
the markets? Anyone else been to Africa? Someone did a safari last year
too...

>  I doubt very much that they are, aside from minor local
> variations and a few extreme cases, significantly different in diet
> from
> our/their ancestors.

Except that modern hunter-gatherers live in the marginal environments
that agriculture can't use. Most paleo peoples would have avoided these
places and would have lived in the richest, most productive places they
could find. Their diets were much richer than modern hunter-gatherers.