From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 12:07:35 +0900
On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 10:44  AM, David Shearon wrote:

> I've only been on this list a few weeks, but I can already tell there
> are a lot of knowledgeable people participating.  So, I'm soliciting
> help to understand a jump in my cholesterol levels.

I have had a similar effect. I went from around 200-220 average to 250
after I started low carb. I have not had it done again since starting
paleo. From what I understand, several things affect cholesterol, among
them saturated fat, exercise etc. A radical change in diet alone can
cause a temporary spike in cholesterol. Atkins said that for several
months after starting low carb a temporary rise in cholesterol is not
unusual. Wait and try it again in a few more months.

Since the last word on cholesterol effects is far from in, I don't
worry overmuch about this. Low cholesterol is associated with several
very nasty things, stroke, mental illness, criminality, alcoholism, all
kinds of things. Half of all heart disease deaths occur, according to a
science article I read recently, in people with low cholesterol.
Leaving, if I understand it right, the other half of heart disease
deaths spread among normal and high cholesterol people. Hmmm. Not
something I worry about. Very high cholesterol is associated with heart
disease, but slightly elevated cholesterol is not clear. This all
leaves us with very little practical information to go on with.