From:
Terry Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 09:43:43 +0100
Hello all,

Having recently acquired our house in Scotland, I'm now wondering how to
convert the brick-built ex-wash house into a radio shack. Funnily enough,
the previous owners got as far as imagining it would make a summer house and
fitted patio doors to it - the only bit of double glazing on site, hi!

So, it's a nice shack-size building which is partially wood lined, though
I'm curious to see what lies behind that before I attempt to fix shelves and
benches.

My questions:

*    What do you suggest I put on the existing concrete floor? I don't have
much excess head room above the door and feel I should retain these doors if
possible. I think raising the lintel would give more problems than it's
worth, so I just need something to keep everything off the cold, damp floor.
Garden decking has been suggested.

*    I need to line the brick walls with something. This would presumably be
some insulating material then wood. The battens need, of course, to be good
enough to hold benches and shelves, but I don't want to waste too much
space. I've seen this polystyrene stuff that is used between roof joists, is
this suitable?

*    I don't suppose this structure has the luxury of a damp course, and,
since I don't want to leave the heating on when I'm not in there, how do I
insulate/ventilate this place to keep my gear try? I'm well aware that too
much insulation and heat retention can also give rise to damp problems.

*    What heating should I use? My instinct suggests that I use one of these
oil-filled electric heaters, though these tend to be a bit expensive to run.
I could get one of these gas jobs. I suppose the advantage of the electric
one is that I could keep it on low through the worst of the winter, thus
keeping the real cold/damp out.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Cheers & 73,

Terry, GM3WUX

DESCRIBE ONLINE - MAKING IT EASIER THROUGH TEXT

WEBSTART could offer an accessible Web solution to your business and leisure
requirements
For details of our services, visit:

www.describe-online.com/intro/services.htm

For map and station finder for National Rail and London Underground, plus
station guides, visit:

www.describe-online.com

For details of our work to date, visit:

www.describe-online.com/intro/portfolio.htm

For details of our proprietor, visit:

www.describe-online.com/intro/cv.htm

Terry Robinson B.Sc
82 Albert Rd.
Queens Park
Glasgow G42 8DR
Tel: 0141 423 2683 - Mobile: 07771 610002