AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ALEX LAGIA REDD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 22:29:49 -0400
My Dear Colleagues and Well-Wishers,

Many thanks for sharing your warm sentiments of commendation on my graduation from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. It was a long journey from Liberia to achieve this goal here. Though it took four years, but it was all characterized by sacrifce and self-awareness. As you may be aware, Wisconsin is a very cold place and one must have the gut-wrenching desire to brave the weather, heavy snow and tireless days and nights to experience the daily rigors of life here. Following my arrival in the U.S. without my immediate family, I thought on two things in order to survive here: education and righteousness.

Over the years, I have come to grip with the reality that American social system is hovered around paving the way for those who believe in themselves to survive. That is, those who make the effort to learn get educational opportunity. A disciplined mind, hard work of study and faith in God brought me this far. My hats off to other colleagues who have also achieved quality education here.

Fellow colleagues, let us not lose sight of our experience and analysis on the ongoing trend of events in Liberia. Our burning desire to return home to help transform Liberia from the debris of lawlessless, ethnic hatred and bashful egoitism, must be retained to help teach our brothers and sisters about non-violence and the essence of resolving conflict without the barrel of the gun. This is possible, if we all understand the root cause of our country's problem and work together in unison for a quick resolution. Some of us are moved into action when we are inspired by others to do so.

As for me, I have long been inspired by the beliefs and values of Dr. Martin Luther King's non-violent action and teachings to resolve unbearable social barriers. As a recipient of Dr. King's scholarship to study at UW-Madison, I have come to realize that physical violence is not the right path to genuine and lasting peace in our beloved Liberia. Let us rethink and help ALJA and other peace loving Liberian institutions to find an amicable solution to save Liberia.

I look forward working with you all in the future (Liberia and/or U.S) for higher heights.

Thanks once again for sharing your joy with me.

Alex Redd

We must use time creatively, in the knowledge that time is ripe to do right.