Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mike Raiti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:01:43 -0400
>On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 08:56  AM, Mike Raiti wrote:
>>returned.   Next spring will be the test, when grasses become a
>>problem.  I have avoided eating grains completely during the past 3
>>days.  My nasal sinuses are much clearer.
>
>One person I know here had a lot of allergy relief just by quitting
>bread but otherwise keeping her diet as before.

I think my biggest problem earlier this year was sweet potatoes and
boxed cold cereal.  My family eats alot of cereal, so it always
around and when I am hungry late at night it had appeal because it
digests relatively quickly.000000

>I quit all grains about
>2 years ago, and during the allergy season try to keep much more low
>carb. The last two years have been great. This year in particular I got
>through the allergy season with no drugs and a clear nose. I did use
>the "Breathright" nose springs a few times.

I don't know what "Breathright" nose springs are.

>If you have continuing
>problems I suggest you try a few weeks of very low carb. You should
>notice an improvement by the second day. At least I do. I even skip
>fruits and carb veggies like carrots. Your troubles sound more serious
>than mine ever were though. I also found that on the days I went
>jogging I didn't usually have much trouble.

I don't eat carrots, but currently I have been eating a pound of
grapes (400+ calories) as an afternoon snack.  That is usually all
the fruit I eat  although sometimes I will eat blueberries.  How much
do you think fruit needs to be limited.

>>I have a couple of questions about your choice of fat - which you
>>mention as avocados, fish and olive oil.   Do you cook with olive oil
>>(sautee)?
>
>Yes, and fry meat. I also pour it on salad.

Is it bad to cook with olive oil at high heat?

>Don't know anything about hemp oil. Never tried it.

It is supposed to be anti-carcinogenic.  I believe that it is richer
in omega-3 than flax seed oil.  I keep hemp seed oil in the freezer
and it remains a liquid.  It is less viscous than flax seed oil.
Hemp oil has a deep green color to it and has no bad after taste.  I
do believe based on my senses that it is high quality (not rancid).
It is kind of expensive.  1 Tbsp =  50 cents or so.  Do you know if
there is anything negative about flax seed oil.  That oil is more
popular and I suppose they are somewhat similar in that they are both
rich in polyunsaturated fats.

>>   Those two
>>along with sunflower seed butter have been my main sources of fat for
>>probably over a couple of years.  In the past I was also eating a lot
>>of fish and a small amount of oven roasted nuts.  I am wondering
>>about my the effects of my choices regarding fats on my asthma as
>>well as any links to cancer or other diseases.
>
>You might want to try eating more fatty meat. Getting some more
>saturated fat might do some good. I am currently reducing saturated fat
>to see what effect that has on ldl cholesterol. But I feel better when
>eating it.

I usually eat about 6 oz of red meat a day - beef and lamb roast.  I
also eat about 6 oz of cornish hen a day.  Sometimes I have beef
liver.  It is naturally raised so the taste is much better than liver
from supermarket.  Sometimes I will eat a pound of liver for dinner.

I also tried a coconut today for breakfast.  I liked it a lot and ate
half of it.  I think I kind of over did it and will probably eat 1/4
when I eat it.

>>Currently I am receiving an allergy treatment called Low Dosage
>>Antigen which is supposed to desensitize an individual to over 300
>>common allergens.
>
>It worked for a friend of mine. We live in such sterile conditions
>these days, we aren't getting enough dirt and germs and pollen in our
>systems to keep everything tuned up. Then when we do get some, our
>bodies overcompensate. The antigen treatments are supposed to bring you
>up to a more natural level of defense. The theory makes sense to me.

How long did he have to get the LDA treatments to notice a big
effect?  It has been less than 2 years I think since the treatment
was allowed back in the US.  For me I think my diet has been a
complicating factor.  I definitely about the sterile environment.  I
am a high school teacher, so up until school is out for the summer I
am in an air conditioned building all day and have relatively few
problems.  When summer vacation starts my allergy problems start soon
after.

Mike