Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:50:47 EDT
In a message dated 6/19/03 6:35:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Nobody in western societies need to raise their saturated fats.

I think this statement is far too sweeping.  In the US for instance, many
people are brainwashed against eating the primary sources of saturated fat such
as eggs, red meat and pork with fat intact   and full fat dairy products.  Most
people use lots of polyunsaturated oils found in virtually all commercial
prepared foods and dressings that so many Americans consume at nearly every meal.
There is no credible evidence in my view that saturated fat or dietary
cholesterol in absence of excess dietary carbohydrate raises the risk of cardiac
arrest.  Please go to thincs.org for more info on this.  I eat a diet rich in
saturated fat and would put my cholesterol and triglyceride numbers against
anyone's.  I have found incredible difference in both energy levels and dropping
those last few stubborn pounds by replacing some of the polyunsaturated food
sources in my diet with saturated fat. I believe Omega-3 is important too, but I
do not believe it's either healthful or necessary to eat it in huge amounts.
I believe what's found in sardines and wild salmon, mackeral etc is
sufficient.  I'm not saying never eat another walnut -- I am saying that since the
original poster was stalled, I was giving suggestions that worked for me and just
might work for her.

>We eat too little of protein and too little of low carb foods.

While your comment about protein may be true to some extent especially with
women following the Standard American Diet,  I assumed the poster was following
a paleo diet such as described in Neanderthin or The Paleo Diet or Purist
Protein Power Life Plan where flesh (fish/meat/poultry) forms the basis of meals.
 I never said eat low protein, but feel that one can eat too much protein
which will hinder weight loss as excess dietary protein will turn to carb in the
body so long as the body's energy requirements are otherwise met.  Since the
original poster was having trouble losing weight, I merely suggested she try
cutting down a bit on protein portion and upping fat.  This method has done
wonders for me and thought she could give it a shot for a few weeks to see if
things started moving in the right direction.  I certainly do not eat low protein
-- but I do not gobble it as a "free food" anymore.  Here's typical menu for
me lately:

AM:   2 slices uncured organic bacon; 2 jumbo organic eggs
         1/2 cup blueberries w/coconut oil, cinnamon
          oolong tea
          Note:  Sometimes I will substitute organic pork (with fat intact)
for the bacon and cut out an egg or will have grass-       fed lamb chops with
fat intact or some other organic or grass-fed meat with fat intact.  The point
is that my breakfasts contain lots of saturated fat.  Since purposely upping
the saturated fat content of my breakfasts, I notice that I am satiated for
many more hours than when I was eating    fish or lean turkey breast in the
morning.  After doing some research into the work of Jan Kwasniewski ("Optimal
Diet") and corresponding with Barry Groves ("Eat Fat Get Thin"), I thought I'd
give the more saturated fat approach a try since my fat loss was stalled
despite eating tons on lean protein, fish, olive oil, macadamia nut oil, costly fish
oil supplements and walnuts/macadamia nuts for snacks.  I was eating plenty
of fat, just not much saturated fat.  So I skeptically decided to give it a
shot -- very high fat (mostly saturated and monosaturated with small amounts of
polyunsaturated in the form of Omega-3), lower my protein to the amount that
makes me satiated rather than gobbling huge portions out of habit and because I
considered it a "free food", keep carbs low (although interestingly, I find
that I can add more carbs ie several servings of lower carb fruit (berries,
plums) and an ounce or two of 70%-85% dark chocolate provided overall dietary fat
level is very high.)

Lunch:  Organic or grass-fed meat/poultry with fat intact or sardines;
non-starch veggies w/coconut oil; oolong tea

Supper:  Same as lunch, but generally try to consume smaller supper than
lunch; oolong tea

Note:  Depending on my activity level for the day, I may add more fruit or an
ounce or two of 70%- 85% dark chocolate (I know, I know, not paleo).  I drink
lots of water and also may add a cup or two of Genmaich or jasmine green
tea.)   I still use virgin olive oil for taste, but also eat 2-3 tablespoons of
coconut oil per day.  Various seaweeds -- especially dulse make interesting and
tasty additions to meats/veggies or toasted as snacks.

I used to eat a lot of macadamia nuts and walnuts and was stalled in terms of
fat loss despite working out.  When I started substituting more saturated
fat, the fat loss started up quickly, my constipation is gone and I feel very
energetic despite having a thyroid condition.  I do not expect quick fat loss
because I am so near goal weight and I do not believe quick weightloss is
healthy.  In any event, I do not think there is one ideal one size fits all formula
for macronutrient ratios.  What works for me may not work for someone else.