From:
Linda Ireland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Ireland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:18:13 -0700

I just got back from South America (Uruguay and Argentina), and I wanted
to share this with you all. I was walking down the street there, and
passed a newspaper kiosk, with a magazine displayed on the side of
recipes for celiacs. I bought one of them, asked the lady running the
kiosk if she could get any more of them, and they found 2 others for me.
Evidently it is a series of 8 magazines, all dedicated to celiac
recipes, with some medical questions and advice articles, as well.
However, they are predominantly recipes, with nice color pictures of the
finished product for each one.

I wrote to the source, in Argentina, and am waiting for a response, as
to whether there is also an English version, but I'd highly recommend
these to those of you who speak Spanish. Each magazine is 4.90 in
Argentine Pesos on the web, $39.20 for all 8. At the current exchange
rate, that's about $13.00 USD for all 8 of them, and hopefully they will
reply to me soon about shipping charges for international orders. If
you'd like to take a look at them, here is the web link:

http://www.eviaediciones.com/shop/productsByCategory.asp?intCatalogID=10
004&strCatalog_NAME=Cocina%20y%20Salud
<http://www.eviaediciones.com/shop/productsByCategory.asp?intCatalogID=1
0004&strCatalog_NAME=Cocina%20y%20Salud>

The first entry, Cocina Clasica para Celiacos, Coleccion de 8 numeros,
is what it sounds like, the collection of all 8, the next entries are
the individual magazines themselves.

By the way, while I was down there (I went for a software conference), I
was talking to some colleagues about some design issues for web
"shopping carts." Specifically, I talked about some ideas for
sort/search criteria for products, and I used the celiac/ casein
intolerance issues as an example. What I was talking about was the
difficulty of classifying products, when dairy or gluten can be
disguised under so many names as an ingredient, and that people want to
find a product, like a GFCF muffin mix, but there's so much product data
listed, it's frustrating to wade through it all. And if you have other
allergies, like soy or corn, etc., it starts getting very complex, etc.

So we were in the middle of a conversation about the best ways to do
that kind of exclusion/inclusion sort criteria, and one of the men in
the group (all of us were software nerds, you understand) spoke up and
said that he and his family had a farm, and was already supplying the
celiac community in Argentina with GF, non-contaminated oats and other
grains. He seemed very surprised when I told him that we had a problem
getting certain items here in the U.S., and being assured that they were
contaminant-free. So evidently they are much more accommodating to their
celiac population than U.S. agri-business is here. Maybe I need to
relocate - wow, I have to say, I DID have some wonderful meals down
there! I always do, makes it hard to come home.

Linda Ireland, Seattle