From:
Diane Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 00:13:23 -0500

We are reconsidering our amount of life insurance for my husband,who
will likely be diagnosed soon with Celiac disease (both children were
recently diagnosed, and their father has had similar symptoms for a
long time; now we know what he probably has). Our financial planner has
said before CD entered our awarness that we could use more insurance.
My questions:

1. I am seeing different risk factors for additional health problems
that come with CD, including malignancies, in untreated disease; One
quote was that 1 in 10 celiacs develop malignancies.  Another put the
risk figure at 1 in 10,000. All report that the malignancy risks are
the same as the general population after a gf diet has been followed
for five years. Can anyone help us know what the correct risk would be?

2. From one source I read that children with CD are not known to have
this increased mortality risk.  Another source puts the mortality risk
in  untreated CD children at 12%  Can anyone give me accurate
information on children?

3. We hope to move on getting additional life insurance, if prudent,
before my husband officially gets a CD diagnosis.  Anyone have
experience with insurance companies and their treatment of clients with
CD?

Thanks, Diane