Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Christina Kuhne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:36:51 +1000

Thank you to the many people who took the time to respond I have tried to thank you individually but if I missed anyone then accept this as my personal thanks.

The overwhelming response was there is a relationship to Panic attacks and accidental ingestion of Gluten.
Many suggestion were made, but the fact that 99% agreed that there was a connection is enough for me, it has assured me that the recent panic attacks were probably bought on by the accidental ingestion of Gluten.

Thank you for the suggestions of medications, and if they help you I am glad, so far (for four years)I have managed to control the panic attacks by meditation and also by little tricks I play with myself, if anyone would like to know what I do then I would be pleased to send a personal e-mail.

Below are a few of the responses.

Thanks So much my friends. :-)

Anxiety attacks are what finally brought about my
diagnosis.  Now if I ingest gluten, anxiety attacks soon follow.  I use
medication.  Xanax really will ease the anxiety if I happen to have an
accident.

I suspect that gluten affects a person's mind because our grandson was very hyperactive or had attention deficit disorder before we found the gluten-free diet.
Now, we see a relapse in his behavior if he has any snack with wheat at school, such as one donut or a couple of cookies.  This has happened repeatedly, so we know there is a connection.  Recently, there was a message on this listserve about mental illness and depression including schizophrenia being linked to gluten.

Absolutely yes! And depression. And migraines. I don't know the exact
mechanism, and neither does anyone else, but gluten is basically
a psychoactive drug. It is probably part of schizophrenia too -- I met
one Mom whose psychotic child is ok now, as long as he gets no gluten.

I am a celiac who has experienced panic attacks several times.  The most serious was before I was diagnosed.  I was in France (eating pastry, bread, etc.) and just got so sick.  I was far from home (I live in Colorado) and went into a huge panic attack.  My wife had to talk me me down from the USA.  I had another in England (after being diagnosed but accidentally ingesting gluten) that led me to come home early.

Several doctors told me that there is no relation between gluten and panic but I didn't believe them.  I was glad to read your e-mail and know I was not crazy.  Needless to say I am as careful as I can be now when I travel.

My panic attacks return when I accidentally ingest gluten too.  In fact,
this is my prime indication that I have made a mistake in my diet.

I would say that your panic attacks are the result of having gluten. I have emotional and mental issues that can be triggered from gluten and it all went away after going GF. A few times there have been accidental ingestion of gluten, and it can come back. Also, when I get very fatigued, it can show itself a little bit. I am fine otherwise.