EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Equal Access to Software & Information <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:28:55 -0500
From:
Ryan Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Alan,

We have a Plustek Opticbook 3600 Plus flatbed scanner which has " "zero
edge" scanning which means the scanning module can scan right up to the
edge of the scanner where the book spine is placed."

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpN
o=2447926&CatId=294

http://www.plustek.com/product/main.asp

Looks like there is a 4600 right around the corner.

You could also look at the digital camera based book scanners.. which
capture an image of the book .. supposed to work very well.  There is a
range of options from Do It Yourself or commercial systems.. automated
page turning is another option on these systems.

http://diy.atiz.com/
http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/09/26/lego-full-auto-book-scanner/

do-it yourself repro v-cradle for paper books (less than $50)
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?s=ad69d6ea464a4dc79e39cf
c2a1fcbca0&t=13848

http://runeberg.org/admin/camera.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotic_book_scanner

I know the University of Toronto was using one of the higher end robotic
scanners to archive rare books.
http://www.magazine.utoronto.ca/05autumn/library.asp
http://www.news.utoronto.ca/bin6/041221-808.asp

Stanford: