From:
Marie Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marie Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 20:58:14 -0400

Sorry to be so long in summarizing.  I have had a lot of trouble in posting to the list.  I hope this gets there this time.  Third time is a charm.

Marie in MD

Summary for Albuterol Inhalers

Thanks to everyone who replied to my inquiry about Albuterol Inhalers for asthma.  I received about 25 replies.   The following is a list of the inhalers that people verified with companies that were definitely GF.

Ventolin made by Glaxo (no generics, of course)

Zenith Goldline Albuterol

Andryx manufactured by Armstrong Pharmaceuticals, Inc., an Andryx company, Davie, Fl, 33314

MaxAir Autohaler, which is made by 3M (Some people had trouble getting this one from their pharmacy.  Don't know if it was temporary or not.)

I have conflicting information about Preventil.  Some said it was GF and on my original post I had it on the above list.  Then someone just called this week and the company said they can’t guarantee that it is GF.  Two people said they use Serevant &Qvar-80 instead of Albuterol; one person uses Intal Inhaler which is non-steroidal; one person said they use Combivent which is a combination of Atrovent and Albuterol.

Some people have been using Warrick with no problems.  Several people said they were interested and were awaiting this summary.  Some people were told by their doctors that they should not have a problem with any inhalers.  Some one sent me an article titled:  Inhaled Steroids for Asthma Increase Heart Disease Risk.  (If you would like to read this article email me, and I will forward a copy of it, since it is rather long.)

At least one person said they get shakes from using Albuterol.

Again, thanks to everyone who shared.  I will present this list to my Doctor and pharmacy.

Marie in MD