From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:38:38 -0500

All,

I only received two replies with restaurant recommendations in the Upper
West Side or Central Park West of Manhattan.

They are:
Shun Lee
Chinese restaurant
43 W. 65th Street
(http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7166608/)

Chandara
Thai Restaurant
2262 Broadway
(http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7169171/ )

In the archives, I found some other interesting options,

The River
Thai and Vietnamese restaurant
345 Amsterdam Ave
(http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7169091/?cslink=search_grid_best_rati
ng)

Josie's
health food restaurant
300 Amsterdam Ave
(http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7166627/)

Bruno King of Ravioli
Italian food
7089 Broadway
(http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7168946/?cslink=cs_profile_tabs_overv
iew)

Bruno's Deli

Brooklyn Diner
American
212 W 57th St
(http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7143910/?cslink=cs_profile_tabs_overv
iew)

I'm still open to recommendations, so if you know of other good restaurants
in the Upper West Side or South Central Park areas, let me know.

A group of my friends from grad school are congregating in NYC for the
weekend.  I'm GF for only 4 months and rarely eat out at restaurants.  My
sister was diagnosed at the same time and had a major celiac attack after
eating out at restaurants several times.  (She had all her symptoms back and
lost another 5 lbs. or so!!)  I'm very nervous about eating at a restaurant
now.  :--P

Dawn @ the Jersey Shore

********Message excerpts:
For a culinary option:
Shun Lee at 43 West 65th Street is a fantastic Chinese restaurant
by Lincoln Center, between Broadway and Center Park West.  It is one of the
finest and most renowned in the city.

I order plained steamed chicken with Chinese Vegetables,
with our withoutthe white sauce, which is gluten-free. I always ask for and
get, without a problem, a clean wok. Their plain steamed shrimp with
broccoli is also excellent.
________________

I get take-out frequently from a thai place on
the Upper West Side called Chandara.  It is a
popular place, and they have photos of several
famous celebrities in the window that dine there.
I normally ask for Gee-Ra-Wan (that's how I
pronounce it).  She understands "no wheat, no soy
sauce, no oyster sauce, no bean sauce, clean pan,
etc.  Ask for her, tell her about "food
allergies", and you can tell her they are the
same as "Pat".  Be sure to go over all the
ingredients.  For a long time I ate an item there
with pineapple.  I always thought it to be fresh.
 After a long period of time, I found out it was
canned.  I don't have typical reactions - won't
chance it any more, now that I know.  Good luck!

********From Archies
JOSIE'S--Another health-oriented restaurant where gluten-free dishes can
be found and the staff (or chef) tends to be knowledgeable.  I often
order the big spinach salad with grilled tofu and vegetables.  Entrees
cost about $10-25.  Can get noisy and crowded.  Upper West Side.  300
Amsterdam Avenue at 74th Street, 212-769-1212.

BRUNO KING OF RAVIOLI-The shop at 2204 Broadway (78th St.) carries a
number of gluten-free products, including pizza that can be heated up
onsite.  Upper West Side.  Ph:  580-8150
2ND MESSAGE, SAME STORE: Believe it or not, but Bruno the Pasta King, at
79th and Broadway (SE crnr)
has a whole selection, including some Foods by George.

Also, I always stop by BRUNO'S DELI on the Upper West Side (there is
also one in midtown, I think) for baked goods. There is usually a good
selection including tarts, crumb cakes and such. The gf biscotti was
especially good.

Also, RIVER Vietnamese on the Upper West Side has been reliable.

I advise the BROOKLYN DINER on West 57th St. just west of Broadway (near
Carnegie Hall).  They are friendly to people with food sensitivities.  I
get their hamburger, real mashed potatoes, and steamed veggies and they
are superb.  It is not a cheap restaurant, and the actual menu is full
of gluten, but I always feel comfortable with the food, once I have made
clear what they should NOT give me with my order.AND they have the world's
best hot fudge sundae which is completely
safe.

Manhattan is not a good place for GF food. Most health food store personnel
will barely know what you're talking about.  But for eating out there are
Indian (and Pakistani) restaurants all over. Except for the rare ones that
use tomato paste, all the curries are GF. And when with a group it is easy
to steer them to an Indian restaurant, as generally they are reasonably
priced.

SUSHI RESTAURANTS-There are numerous sushi restaurants where you can
enjoy sushi and sashimi.  Just avoid artificial crab leg (it's in the
California Rolls and in many Regular and Deluxe Sushi Entrees, for
example), eel, and anything else cooked in a teriyaki or soy sauce.

Dawn Dutton
732-728-9351

AT&T Labs Research
Dialog/UI Design