From:
Alexis Hafken <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alexis Hafken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:15:09 -0500

I  wanted to double check the gluten free status of Hebrew National Hot Dogs,
so I wrote to the company. They responded quickly but mainly with the
information that is on their web site, information which I found confusing. I
then wrote back a second time, asking for clarification and this is what I
recieved back, so I am now thinging that, except at Passover, all brands of
these hot dogs should be considered NOT gluten free (this is my first post so
please excuse me if I made errors!) Here is the (second) email

***********
I had written:
"Thank you for answering my email so quickly.
I'm sorry but I am still not clear.....are the hot dogs considered to be
gluten free? I am confused by the information you sent me, especially the
part about the hydrolyzed proteins.
Sorry to ask again, but I do appreciate your help in clarifying this for
me!",)

ANSWER FROM HEBREW NATIONAL "Vegetable proteins, such as the hydrolyzed soy
protein in our products, chemically break down into gluten.  These vegetable
proteins are eliminated during our Passover production each year.  You should
ask the advice of your dietician or physician as to whether Hebrew National
products are a match for your restricted diet.  Thank you again for
contacting us."
I just thought I should post this information since I didn't see anything
like it in the archives.
Alexis Hafken
PS Boars Head hot dogs are gluten free...both the regular and low fat